Plastic and stainless steel water bottles are hard for parents to choose between. Both have their benefits and are commonly used. Let’s look at the benefits of each.
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Less expensive so they can easily be replaced if lost.
- More common in stores, with fun designs
- Durable and can last many years
- Has less chemical additives than plastic
- Can be cooked in, for emergency situations
- Comes with more creative designs
They also each have drawbacks. Let’s consider the following.
- Contains chemicals, could cause health problems due to chemicals.
- Break more easily than stainless steel.
- Can’t be cooked in.
- Heavier than plastic
- More expensive and not easily replaceable
My family picks stainless steel for many reasons. The first reason is the fact that they will last years if treated right.
The first reason is the fact that they will last years if treated right. My first grader’s purple stainless steel water bottle survived being dragged on the ground every day during her 4k year.
The second and most important reason is that you can cook in it. If an emergency comes it could be very useful. Heavy snowfalls affect Wisconsin. If a vehicle breaks down, we could be stranded for hours and we need to provide food for our girls. This will allow us to do just that, along with freeze dried food placed in our emergency bag.
I hope you can now make a wise water bottle choice for you and your family. It is just another choice in the long list of decisions that need to be made at the beginning of the school year. It is a very important one though.